What Is Diversity?
Diversity extends beyond affirmative employment … in that it is not solely based on changing the representation of various types of people in the workplace.
The focus of this intervention is on recognizing the uniqueness in everyone, valuing the contribution that each can make because of those unique qualities and creating an inclusive work environment where awareness of, and respect for, those of different cultures is promoted. It is the quality of the work experience that is paramount.
Ways we are all diverse are personality, internal dimensions (race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, and physical ability), external dimensions (geographic location, income, personal habits, recreational habits, religion, educational background, work experience, appearance, color, parental status, and marital status), and organizational dimensions (classifications, work content, organizational unit, seniority, work location, union affiliation, or management status).
Federal Government Diversity Sites
- Colorado Federal Executive Board
- NOAA Office of Human Capital Services
- U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Guidelines for Conducting Diversity Training
- NOAA Civil Rights Office (Provides services to NESDIS, NWS & OAR)
- NOAA NESDIS Equal Employment Opportunity & Diversity
- NOAA NWS Office of Equal Opportunity & Diversity Management
- NOAA OAR Equal Employment Opportunity / Diversity Office
- NIST Civil Rights & Diversity Office
- DoC Office of Civil Rights (Provides services to NTIA)