- All visitors 16 years of age and older must be pre-registered in the visitor registration system by a federal employee sponsor. See additional requirements for visiting foreign nationals below.
- All visitors 16 years of age and older are required to present an accepted form of photo I.D. and, if bringing a vehicle onto campus, their vehicle registration card. See below for accepted forms of photo I.D.
- Holders of active Department of Commerce agency badges and credentials will be allowed business-hours access to the campus with those badges, and are not required to register as visitors.
NOTE: Effective MAY 3, 2023, agencies can only accept a state-issued driver’s license or identification card from states that are compliant with the REAL ID Act. See the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) site to confirm if your ID is compliant.
The Boulder Laboratory Campus currently accepts other forms of federally issued identification in lieu of a state-issued driver’s license, such as a valid passport, passport card, DOD’s Common Access Card (CAC), Veterans ID, Federal Agency HSPD-12 IDs, Military Dependents ID, Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC), and TSA Trusted Traveler ID.
In addition, The Police Services Group will mirror procedures in use by the DOC Office of Security and Department of Homeland Security/Federal Protective Services. Visitors with state licenses not in compliance with the REAL ID requirements may be admitted to campus provided the sponsoring NIST employee meets the visitor at the Visitor Center on arrival and provides escort while the visitor is on site.
- Only federal employees may sponsor or host a foreign national visitor or guest.
- Foreign nationals visiting campus for three (3) days or less, or attending a conference of five (5) days or less must be pre-registered in the visitor registration system at least three (3) business days in advance.
- Foreign nationals who will be visiting the Boulder campus for more than three (3) days must be pre-registered in the system at least 30 calendar days prior to the arrival. Sponsor must complete citizenship information during the registration to ensure the form will automatically be routed to the appropriate offices.
- Foreign nationals must present a valid passport (original only) or Permanent Registration Card (green card) upon arrival.